Monday 11 February 2013

Now is a Great Time to Visit Estonia

When I walked down to my local U bahn station in Munich on Saturday I was delighted to find an advertisement for Estonia on the infoscreen.  "Visit Estonia" was displayed in big bright letters and I must admit I felt a stirring of national pride seeing it there. It got my day off to a good start!

Now really is a great time to visit Estonia. There is a lot happening this year and you'll bound to discover something new. Independence Day celebrations are just around the corner and a stream of events are scheduled to take place throughout the year to mark the 95th annivesary.

One thing I am interested in seeing myself is the exhibition of the best 25 designed Estonian books for 2012. Each year the National Library of Estonia showcases the winners of the annual competition, displaying the works of talented Estonian artists and designers. The exhibition runs until the end of February so if you're in town for the Independence Day celebrations it's definitely worth a visit.
http://www.nlib.ee/the-best-designed-estonian-books-chosen/

If you are interested in visiting Estonia and would like to learn to improve your Estonian before you go, Tartu University is offering a brand new online course starting in March. For those of you who are not aware, Tartu University is a highly respected education institition, ranked in the top 3% of world's best universities. My grandfather's cousin used to be a linguists professor at Tartu University and published several books on Estonian/German grammer.  Language studies has always been a big part at the unversity program. More details can be found at:
https://www.is.ut.ee/pls/ois/tere.tulemast?viit=4531784